Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Easy Way to Clean Chrome

Last week I was out on a thrift store hunt and found a great cabinet that I wanted to use as a bar. It was in good condition but it did have some chrome legs that had seen some better days. I went to my local hardware store to find some chrome cleaner. Many of the cleansers were expensive and included some gnarly chemicals. I found this alternative which worked awesome and was using ingredients I already had at home.
Things you will need:
  • Vinegar (I've used both apple cider and white)
  • Baking soda
  • Foil

This was one of my thrift store finds. It cost $10 which I thought was a steal.
Before Cabinet Photo

Instructions:
  1. Sprinkle baking soda on chrome
  2. Take aluminum foil and ball it up, shiny side out
  3. Pour some vinegar into a small bowl, dip foil in vinegar
  4. Then begin to rub vinegar soaked foil ball over the chrome and baking soda
As the vinegar hits the baking soda it will begin to bubble, this is good it's removing all of the corrosion. Continue to use the foil to buff and clean the chrome. You may also notice that the vinegar turns black. This is normal too. After you are done buffing clean the chrome with some soap and water to remove any excess baking soda or vinegar. Be sure to dry completely as chrome rusts pretty easily. 

Chrome all clean
 I also included a picture of the finished cabinet. I decided to use this as a bar.  
I repainted it, added a shelf and some lights.


So the next time you need to clean some chrome just remember you have everything you need in your kitchen cabinet.



Thanks for stopping by.
<3 Pinky




No comments:

Post a Comment